Fenix POL/FFXI Installation & Setup
Thanks for joining us!
Please keep in mind that if you are beginning this installation from scratch, it could take up to a day - the file check for a fresh installation (for any server) can be up to 8-10 hours long. We know you're excited to join Fenix, so plan accordingly!
STEAM USERS: Your file locations will be different. Adjust accordingly.
Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
Download vcredist_x86.exe 2015 from the Microsoft website and run it.
- If your computer says you have a newer version and not to install this old one, go ahead and listen to it. The new one is working well as far as we can tell.
PlayOnline Viewer/FFXI Installation
- Start with the official installation guide. Follow the instructions located here: Installing POL & FFXI
- Download all 4 files to the same location. This may take several hours. You cannot run FFXISETUP.exe until ALL files have finished downloading, and are in the same folder.
- Install everything to the default location, when it asks, unless you know for sure that you normally install programs elsewhere.
- The shortcut to Final Fantasy XI is not needed. Uncheck the box when it asks, if you like.
- When complete, open PlayOnline (search for it if needed).
- Click next to let it update, and it will restart itself when it's done (click Next as needed).
- When it re-opens, click "For PlayOnline Members!".
- Type in any Member Name. You will not use this information after this point. It's just to get going.
- Use ABCD1234 for the PlayOnline ID. Again, you won't need this again.
- Skip the rest of the fields, and press "Register", then "Yes".
- There is no need to remember or write down any of the information you typed in. It will not be used after this point. It is only to get you into PlayOnline the first time.
- Exit PlayOnline Viewer.
Download Patch Files
- Download "Fenix Patch.zip".
- Extract the files inside into your Final Fantasy XI folder, usually located at C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI.
- When it asks, replace and overwrite all files.
Update FFXI using PlayOnline Viewer.
- Open PlayOnline Viewer and click "Check Files" on the left side of the window.
- On the next screen, use the drop down menu to select "Final Fantasy XI".
- Make sure you don't leave it on PlayOnline Viewer, as it will be there by default.
- Click Check Files.
- When it's done checking, it will say it found files to repair. Click the option to repair the files.
- Allow this process to complete before following the next step.
Copying the "Data" Folder (DO NOT SKIP!)
- Navigate to the PlayOnlineViewer folder where you installed the game, usually located at C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer.
- Copy the folder named "data".
- Paste it into your Final Fantasy XI folder where you installed the game, usually located at C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI.
You're done with installation!
The next step is installing Windower or Ashita so you can get into the game. Windower and Ashita are used by many retail players as well as private server users, and they include extensive add-ons and plugins.
- Preferred by more technical players, and has more advanced plugins. Can sometimes be difficult to set up, but some people have no problems. Our personal favorite!
- Still has good plugins, but much easier to set up.
Where To Start
Check out our list of things that are good to do when starting out on FFXI, even as a returning player (gobbie bags, fame, Jeuno run, etc.). Otherwise, equip the linkpearl already in your inventory and ask around! Our players are super helpful and will usually lend a hand!
Common Installation Problems
Please check out our Troubleshooting page for some solutions to common problems during installation.